Wired: Indie Game Renaissance?

Come and relax here. Unrelated discussion to Epoch Games, LoA:SO or UE4 goes here.

Wired: Indie Game Renaissance?

Postby Monomyth » 20 Feb 2014, 16:20

(Deleted by myself, for not bothering to read an entire article before sharing it. :oops: )
“The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.” ― Joseph Campbell.
Monomyth
Peasant

Local time: 21 Nov 2018, 05:37

Re: Wired: Indie Game Renaissance?

Postby Nuvendil » 20 Feb 2014, 19:29

Honestly, that left a bad taste in my mouth. Another article perpetuatingthe image of "indie" as cheap, B film type games that can't have substance. Indies have to be wierd, niche, comedy, etc to be truly 'indie.' It's a load of bunk. And Infinite backfired in terms of profitability due to mismanagement, I can say that with confidence. But it was a stellar game and no indie experience he is describing comes close. Do I think independent development is a major part of the future of gaming? Yes. But "indie" doesn't equal a dinky studio with 15 dudes making digitally distributed, downloadable games. If the future of gaming is no more amazing games like Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, Destiny, Xenoblade Chronicles, or Metroid Prime and instead tons of shorter, shallower, cheaper (in terms of price and production value) games with no substance and tons of microtransactions, count me out. Independent isn't about that. It's about giving control back to the developers. Warhorse is indie. Cloud Imperium is indie. We're indie. Indie is about devs making the games they want to make. Not about...Octodad.
"You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down." -Ray Bradbury's advice for writers.

"In a tragic story of obsessive hobbying turned deadly, an NCIS agent was discovered in his basement, crushed between a large homemade boat and an even larger bottle of bourbon. (dramatic pause) Film at eleven." - Tony Dinozo
Nuvendil
Writer

Local time: 21 Nov 2018, 08:37

Postby Monomyth » 21 Feb 2014, 01:40

True. I only glanced through the article, so I thought it was a lot more positive than it was. Sorry. :oops:
Monomyth
Peasant

Postby names_are_useless » 25 Feb 2014, 02:06

Nuvendil wrote:Indie is about devs making the games they want to make. Not about...Octodad.

Hey now, have you even played the sequel Octodad: Dadliest Catch? It's actually quite good. A funny quirky game, but its honestly very well made (a bit on the short side unfortunately).

Man this article sounded bad. Ah well, haters gonna hate :roll:
names_are_useless
Writer

Local time: 21 Nov 2018, 07:37
Roles: Althas Wiki Creator
Co-story Writer

Postby Nuvendil » 25 Feb 2014, 02:49

Well it's not hate. It's misconception. And I am not saying Octodad is a bad game. But that is the definition of "indie" and it along with games like Angry Birds and Flappy Bird are somehow the "future" of gaming. And all I'm saying is...well no just...no.
"You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down." -Ray Bradbury's advice for writers.

"In a tragic story of obsessive hobbying turned deadly, an NCIS agent was discovered in his basement, crushed between a large homemade boat and an even larger bottle of bourbon. (dramatic pause) Film at eleven." - Tony Dinozo
Nuvendil
Writer

Local time: 21 Nov 2018, 08:37

Postby Monomyth » 25 Feb 2014, 04:45

names_are_useless wrote:Hey now, have you even played the sequel Octodad: Dadliest Catch? It's actually quite good. A funny quirky game, but its honestly very well made (a bit on the short side unfortunately).

Man this article sounded bad. Ah well, haters gonna hate :roll:

Sorry again. I was on the bus to school when I glanced at the article and it started off kinda good so I posted it. :sorry:

Maybe I can redeem myself with these ( :| ):
http://www.igf.com/index.html
http://buy.indiegamethemovie.com/
Monomyth
Peasant

Postby Conlan » 27 Feb 2014, 00:53

I'm very much agreeing with Nuvendil on this. I'm not charmed by this generation of 'cute' games which have become so predominant that they've almost become synonymous to indie. Even the big ones. Minecraft and the like, don't like it. maybe that's because I effing hate hipsters, whom I very much associate with that genre. I want the games of the future to be a form of art. Not the throw-away format they're becoming in this generation (endless sequels included). There are exceptions though, Limbo and the like but those are really the top of the top that make that category tbh.

Also there are those buzzwords out there that are complete misconceptions imo. Everyhing has to be sandbox. You have to always be able to do anything whenever, hoowever you want, Take skyrim; Want to be a Shield bro ? sure. Want to be a Shield bro *and* be in the assassin's guild? sure go ahead.You can join everything, do every quest in whatever order you want even though it makes no damn sense. Same for Skills. You can level all skills and become a jack of all trades and a master of all, perfectly normal in Skyrim endgame. The main storyline has no emotional value or sense of urgency, because it doesn't even matter if you do it or not, and it's just something to do between all the other random stupid sh*t you do in the game. It's come to the point 'linear' has become a dirty word, even though it's the only format that has consistency in its storyline. The kind of thing that can have an emotional impact, god forbid.

I might not be at the right place to put this point of view foward ... I know most of you wont' agree but there it is xD

Sorry for the rant :p carry on, what are you looking at? xD
Novice Concept Artist

"It is better to be feared than loved if you cannot be both" -Niccolo Machiavelli
Conlan
Mercenary

Local time: 21 Nov 2018, 13:37

Postby dortemals » 19 May 2017, 12:49

I do not know what to say about that ;d
dortemals
Wanderer

Postby CoraFarr » 22 Aug 2017, 08:29

dortemals wrote:I do not know what to say about that ;d

Cause all the spanbots do not have what to say.
Though I've met some with a descent point on a topic, but it is really a rare case.
Bring a big turtle into a small house and it would still have one home.
CoraFarr
Wanderer

Postby gapoman1 » 25 Aug 2017, 07:41

thanks for good content
___
Open minded call girls In London
gapoman1
Wanderer

Postby wikobe » 05 Oct 2017, 14:46

Thanks a lot for posting that here
wikobe
Wanderer

Postby janifar802 » 22 Nov 2017, 11:18

Hello, i am new user what you shared ??
If you are looking for aquarium supplies online for your fish tank then check out our aquarium supply store and find suitable options for your aquarium.
janifar802
Wanderer

Postby janifar47 » 23 Nov 2017, 09:46

i think so right .
janifar47
Wanderer

Postby solomanjanifar1 » 05 Dec 2017, 10:25

The students often mistake conclusion as the ultimate climax to their written piece and that is what lands them in trouble.
Do you want to hire dissertation writing services? Our approach for writing your dissertation is result-oriented and will help you to fetch higher grades from your professors.

Dissertation writing services
solomanjanifar1
Wanderer

Return to The Tavern: Off-topic