Reference Photos

Come and relax here. Unrelated discussion to Epoch Games, LoA:SO or UE4 goes here.

Reference Photos

Postby Insanity » 16 Mar 2014, 15:58

So, I'm learning to be a concept artist. I'm posting this in the hope that any of you with a photo library will be willing to send them to me and give me permission to use them in my paintings, for phototextures, paintovers, and references :) It would be really helpful to me if anybody out there does this, since I don't want to run into copyright troubles using photos off the Internet. Just upload them or send them to me somehow, if you're willing :D
My DeviantArt: http://lnsan1ty.deviantart.com/
(Yes, I still sort of suck right now :S)
Fear me, little one. For beyond your little circle of light lies only ravenous madness, and I am its master.
Insanity
2D Artist

Local time: 22 Sep 2018, 05:16

Re: Reference Photos

Postby Conlan » 16 Mar 2014, 19:51

Google is a pretty good library :p
Novice Concept Artist

"It is better to be feared than loved if you cannot be both" -Niccolo Machiavelli
Conlan
Mercenary

Local time: 21 Sep 2018, 22:16

Postby Insanity » 16 Mar 2014, 20:11

"Copyright". You know?
Fear me, little one. For beyond your little circle of light lies only ravenous madness, and I am its master.
Insanity
2D Artist

Postby BlownKapz » 16 Mar 2014, 20:43

as long as you manipulate it enough its fine - it may even fall under fair use, but I'm not sure there. :P
Especially for paintovers and reference ;D

EDIT: Actually no, thinking about that again, it most likely doesnt fall under fair use - don't know what struck my mind there.
Of a truth the gods do not give the same man everything: you know how to gain a victory, Hannibal, but you do not know how to make use of it.

''The hammer of justice is unisex'' - Batman
BlownKapz
Knight

Local time: 21 Sep 2018, 23:16

Postby MEB » 16 Mar 2014, 20:58

BlownKapz wrote:as long as you manipulate it enough its fine - it may even fall under fair use, but I'm not sure there. :P
Especially for paintovers and reference ;D

EDIT: Actually no, thinking about that again, it most likely doesnt fall under fair use - don't know what struck my mind there.

Really no... THIS is why people hate 'fair use', because people think this is how it works :roll:
If it looks as good as it lags, we'll use it!
"Skill is more a by-product of practicing creativity, rather than a prerequisite to it."
MEB
Technical Director

Roles: Junior Senior-Animator
3D Assets
2D Assets
Website Maintenance

Postby Insanity » 17 Mar 2014, 04:04

Even if nobody realized that I used their photos or nobody cared, it would still be sort of bad to benefit from somebody else's work without them knowing at all, no? Ethics.
Insanity
2D Artist

Postby Conlan » 17 Mar 2014, 06:33

Copyright (the right to *copy*) has to do with big money, not with hobby artists looking for reference or paintover material ;) And if that would occur the ethics thing is more on the side of the one suing, e.g WB and MERP (or at least threatening to sue, which enforces my point);

If you feel bad towards texture photographers you should really just leave a message on their deviantart or wherever you found it.

Now if we are talking about taking other concept artist's art as direct reference, that's of course completely different. My art teacher called this a form of incest. Wouldn't call it a matter of ethics, but it's in the artist's code of honour let's say :p And something similar could be said about photomanip, but that( imo) is a pretty weak form of art anyway.

for me libraries are mostly something you just build as you go, as you need them. I lost mine when my hard drive broke, but these days I just google tbh. btw, if you want nice textures to make brushes and such (no copyright , free resource), bookmark this site :) http://www.cgtextures.com
Novice Concept Artist

"It is better to be feared than loved if you cannot be both" -Niccolo Machiavelli
Conlan
Mercenary

Postby Insanity » 17 Mar 2014, 07:57

Sure, thanks :o
Insanity
2D Artist

Postby dortemals » 19 May 2017, 12:48

Conlan wrote:Google is a pretty good library :p

Yes that is right!
dortemals
Wanderer

Postby wikobe » 05 Oct 2017, 14:47